City Clerk FAQ

Q: I have an adopted child and I need a copy of the birth certificate. What forms of identification do I need and do you need information about the childs' birth parent(s)?

A:  If the child was adopted and you had a legal adoption and you need a birth certificate you would put down the adoped child name and adopted parent(s) information and send or bring a photo ID. However, if the child was not legally adopted then put down the child birth name at birth and birth parents' names and only the child or the birthparentwould be able to request the birth certificate with child photo ID or with the birth  parent(s) photo ID.