Assessor FAQ

Q: My bill is too high, you've valued my property too high.

A: You are required to pay the bill. However, you must inform the Assessor of your concern.  Should your grievance be approved you will be refunded.  Please call 311 for an over evaluation form. This form can only be used during the thirty day period from when the 3rd quarter bill is mailed, generally mailed in the month of January.